Incorporating R M Brown - Insurance

Use us as part of your management team.  We help reduce risk and costs.

What to do when you have a claim:

  1. Call the Fire Brigade and/or whoever else is appropriate!  Turn off the water/gas/electricity as appropriate BEFORE you ’phone us!!  That sounds obvious, but we actually had a client ’phone and wake his friend, one of our staff, before 07:30 to say he had a ruptured header tank and water was gushing through his hotel; what should he do?  “Turn the ****** water off!” was the initial reply.  (At 9:00 hours we arranged for Loss Adjusters to visit our client that day.)
  2. Check your policy/certificate/other documents.
  1. If you need windows boarding up, a damaged roof sheeting over etc. the insurers may have given you a 24/7 telephone number.  Use it now!
  2. N.B. Insurers expect you to notify a claim as soon as is practicable.  This minimises your (and their) loss and facilitates speedy resolution.  Late notification is a valid reason for an insurer to refuse to pay a claim!
  3. You must act as any prudent person would if not insured.  Insurers call this “mitigating the loss.”  Any immediately necessary temporary repairs must be done without delay, to make the insured property secure and safe for you and others.  Failure to do this could result in insurers refusing to pay for additional damage occurring later.
  4. Let us know what has happened, even if you’ve notified the insurers - it is frustrating to receive a call 3 months after the event, when things are not going as you would like and we have no idea that you have even made a claim (insurers are supposed to tell us when they receive a claim direct, but too often they don’t).  It can then be very difficult for us to retrieve the situation.
  5. Gather information quickly to facilitate a satisfactory outcome.  Depending on circumstances, this can include:
  1. Loss Adjusters/Motor Engineers - If it is apparent that the bill will be substantial, your insurers will almost certainly want to appoint an experienced independent firm to inspect and assist in the processes involved.  Some insurers may do this for smaller sums too.
  2. Tell us and/or the insurer what the damage is likely to be in money terms: take a guess if needs be.  Ask if a Loss Adjuster or Engineer will be appointed.  This can often enhance a satisfactory close for you.
  3. The Loss Adjuster will check to ensure you are adequately insured.  If you are not, he will recommend the insurers only pay a reduced amount.
  4. The Adjuster will also check you have complied with the policy terms and conditions.  If you haven’t he will tell the insurers, who may then refuse to pay you.
  5. Loss Adjusters are professional people and the vast majority of them are very fair minded.  If you have any concerns, you should ask the adjuster for his/her opinion/help/advice.
  6. We are used to dealing with Loss Adjusters.  If you wish us to speak/write to them on your behalf, simply ask.
  7. Our services include some assistance with handling a claim.  With a complicated and/or substantial claim, especially with uninsured losses, we may charge for our time in assisting. We will tell you before any fees are incurred.  We may also recommend that you engage the services of a Loss Assessor, who will negotiate on your behalf with the Loss Adjuster and protect your rights under the policy.  The Loss Assessor’s fee is usually a percentage of the settlement.  Our fee is on a time basis.  This will be payable by you and is not normally recoverable under the policy.  It often transpires though that the extra amount we or the Assessor negotiate for you can more than cover his fee.

We reserve the right to refuse to assist with claims not insured through us.  If we agree to assist a fee will be payable.